Let’s start with how embarrassed I am that it has been OVER A MONTH since my last post. Let’s be honest, we’re looking at almost two months here. I wish I could report how extremely boring my life has been, and how I haven’t neglected to post anything BUT, it’s actually been the total opposite. So, I’ve borrowed an idea from my friend Shannon’s blog, which she borrowed from another blog, that will (hopefully) let me convey the 7 most blog-worthy things that have occurred since my last post, fifty million years ago.
So, in no particular order, 7 Quick Takes:
1) I went home to Georgia for the weekend a couple of weeks ago! It was a glorious weekend full of lots of family time, hanging out with my best friend, Laura and her adorable pups, & eating and drinking lots of delicious things. Exactly the way vacation (especially a trip home) should be. Possibly the most interesting part: I got to see the parents’ urban farm in action, complete with stalks of corn, bok choy, tomatoes, lettuce, radishes… you name it, she’s got it. It’s awesome. Someday I will be an excellent gardener just like my mother!
2) Scott has started playing soccer with a men’s league in town. It’s a more serious league than the social league he also plays on. Their season officially starts in a week or so, I think, but he’s been practicing with them twice a week for the last several weeks and is really excited to be back on the soccer scene! With the social league, he’ll be at 3x/week soccer, crazy!
3) We. Are. In the process. Of closing. On another house! This one is a much more promising find than the last one, so we’re starting to see that everything does, in fact, happen for a reason. The plan is to get in at the end of the month, do a little bit of work in March, and move in by April! Or earlier! This means, I have already started looking at dogs to adopt (surprise!) and am planning out our epic backyard garden. Scott has been scouting general stores for baby chicks, and we’re brainstorming that chicken coop!
4) Also right around the corner is SXSW! It lines up conveniently with my Spring Break, which is completely ideal. Additionally – this Friday, Scott and I are heading downtown to see He’s My Brother, She’s My Sister, which is this new folky band I’m really into! And then, Map Jam is on Saturday. So, music, music, music AND the weather is perfect for it (hint: it’s 80 today).
5) Two Fridays ago, we went over to the east side to take advantage of the glass blowing lesson that my parents got us for Christmas! It was SO much fun; we made so many things; we will definitely try to do it again. East Side Glass is right next to our favorite brewery, Hops and Grain, so we were able to round of the whole experience with a few delicious beers.
6) Several times in the last few weeks, we have found ourselves at the local Habitat for Humanity Restore warehouse in search of new, fun craft projects and ideas for the house! Our first project: A new cabinet for the living room in our apartment. Mom sent me several Amaryillis and Paperwhite bulbs for Christmas and they needed a place to live! So we found what used to be an overhead kitchen cabinet and gave it a custom pain job! It looks really great. I took a few pictures during the process, but JUST realized that I don’t know where the post-paint job photos are, so I’ll have to get those up later. Teaser: me, spray-painting.
7) And lastly (I was going to talk about graduate school, but that’s boring, and I was just reminded about this GREAT last point while uploading some pictures from the camera) we have been eating some really amazing meals lately, mostly courtesy of Scott because I have been insanely busy, although I did manage to sneak in some beef and mushroom curry last week! After initially miscalculating the occurrence of Fat Tuesday, Scott was able to do some planning and prepared an amazing New Orleans meal including these amazing po-boys. (There was also shrimp, potato salad, and coleslaw.)
I hope this gives you a tiny window into what’s been going on lately! I’m excited to get into the new house and have some posts of substance (like all of the great projects we plan to do)! Stay tuned! Or, take a nap….